Monday, 18 January 2010

Something to say

Hello anyone who is reading this. Thank you for doing so!

As you can see it has been over a month since I last wrote. I obviously had a break from writing anything (and from having any free time) over the school Christmas holidays. Then we had a couple of weeks where snow messed up my plans to get back into writing.

The short story that I mentioned in my last post taught me a lot. As I mentioned, I did not spend a lot of time on it, and needless to say it did not make it into the top five stories as far as the judges were concerned.

However, I have since entered another short story competition here: Reading Writers. This one was for up to 1000 words, and I spent a lot of time and care on this story. I enjoyed it so much more as well. I felt a mixture of excitement and dread when I clicked on the submit button to send it off.

I have heard today that this story has made it through the first round of judging. I am so excited that I keep looking at the website just to see my name on it. To be honest, I have no illusion that it will get any further but I feel like a winner for getting through the first round.

You may have picked up on my supreme lack of confidence already. This news has given me a much needed boost, and at last I feel the urge to get writing again.

More soon!

2 comments:

  1. Rebecca,

    What is it you choose to do when you have spare time? What did you achieve in the month of November - a whole 50,000 words - in the midst of family chaos.You want to write, you can write and you are putting in whatever time you can. Remember when you got up in the middle of the night to start writing. What lunatic would do that - only a true writer and you are having successes already. Find your style and voice, find the markets that love you and keep going girl!

    Alison X

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hiya Rebecca

    I can so identify with this post. I painted two coffee tables recently. I had them done in jig time, and painted my hair, the floor, the hearth and even some splats on the wall. A friend who is a builder was absolutely stunned that I could make such a mess with such a small job! And the tables werent great. They were done in no time - but bore all the hallmarks of same!

    And your post has made me realise I take the same approach with writing. Get it down, a bit of polish and then on to the next thing. If i had an office and desk I would print your post and stick it to the wall! Cos you are right. Time and care and love lavished on any project will bring results.

    Good luck with your entry! It might just go all the way!

    ReplyDelete