Tuesday, 23 February 2010

Thoughts on Mike Gayle

Early in 2007, I discovered the author Mike Gayle. I can't recall how I first got hold of his books, but knowing me, it was during a tired stroll around a book shop, browsing for books that I may be able to read, in small doses, in between sorting the kids out.

I flew through 'Mr Commitment' and followed it with 'Dinner for Two' before I had time to catch my breath.

By a complete coincidence, which I only realised when I went back to look at the message as I started this post, it was exactly three years ago to this date that I wrote an e-mail to Mike Gayle via his author site. I think that was the first time I had ever searched for an author on the internet and bothered to send an e-mail. I'm one of those people that likes to say thank you when I enjoy something; hotels, customer service, meals, you name it. As far as I was concerned, I sent it off and that was that.

Three days later, I had a reply. I was really surprised by that. I've since bought every book that he has written, and if you found me via Twitter you'll know I am currently reading 'The To Do List'. This has been on my shelf since I received my pre-ordered copy. I've only just felt able to start reading it, as if there is one thing I hate, it's finishing a much loved book by an author who does not have another one due out any time soon. I felt ok about reading it now, as there's a new one out in May.

I sat in a kids playcentre this morning as, having dipped in already, I just *had* to read some more. Youngest kept himself amused for some of the time at least, and I managed to read a lot more than I would have done at home.

Even though 'The To Do List' is a non-fiction book, it is still in the same writing style that I discovered in the novels. I find it very easy to read, as well as honest and down to earth. I love books like that.

If I had to write a list of people who have inspired me to write, Mike Gayle would definitely be on it. He has a young family, but manages to write novels and still find the time to respond to people who contact him.

Now that is the kind of writer that I aspire to be.



'The Importance of Being A Bachelor' is due for release later this year.

Photographs included with permission. Thank you MG!

9 comments:

  1. I 'guessed' Bill Bryson's email address and wrote to him to ask for prize for charity thing we were doing. I was astonished when he wrote back personally, and just absolutely love him since for being, just such a great guy (and for Down Under which I'll always, always love).

    So can totally understand how you feel about Mike Gayle. The writing is the key thing, but the 'being a decent fella' also scores points...

    Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never read any of his stuff tbh but think I'll give it a go now.

    Nice post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never heard og him before..going to investigate...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have never come across him, I am going to add his work to my wish list. Thanks for the introduction.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved a MG book back in, oooh, 1999- can't think what it was called but there was a clock on the front. Thanks for the reminder - should look him back up.

    ReplyDelete
  6. How wonderful....another person that has not forgotten the art of saying Thank You or Good Job. These days all people tend to want to is be first in line for delivery of words of disappointment and dismay when things go bad....but people forget to say Thank You or Good job when things go good...
    So let me be the first for saying thanks for not forgetting to say Thank you! lol

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the suggestion! I will get his book!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for sharing this. I love finding new authors. I really enjoyed your writing here. It was smooth and read fast, which is great for us busy moms! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I agree with Alicia... I love finding new authors so thanks for the recommendation. And hasnt he got a lovely smiley face too!

    ReplyDelete