Thursday, 26 August 2010

I Am Pinching Myself...

As you probably already know, I have been working on my first novel since November 2009, when I wrote my first draft. I've been reading about how to contact agents and publishers since I started writing, and recently feeling a bit worried about how to approach that next step. I imagine I'm not the first writer to feel a sense of dread about getting *that* letter together.

So, imagine my utter amazement yesterday, when I was contacted by a publisher, who has requested to see my manuscript! Yes, I *know*!!! I am pinching myself as I write this. I won't say any more just yet in case they decide that my story does not fit their list, but still, it's very exciting.

The past 24 hours has been a bit of a weird dream-like experience actually. In a good way.

Only this lunchtime, I was carrying out one of the gazillion tasks involved with my other "job" and making some cheese sauce, when it dawned on me that I was so overcome by this request that I have not even mentioned my other publishing achievments this year.

As a result of gaining over 30 votes for my story 'A Knowing Look' on Authortrek, this story will now be considered for inclusion in an anthology of short stories. (Please do still visit and vote by clicking on the beige button just above my photo if you have yet to do so. I'm determined to get as many votes as possible!)

Also this year, I have submitted three pieces for charity fundraisers which are moving towards being published too. All in all, this year has been quite a success, when I stop and think about it.

For now I am waiting for the school "holidays" to finish, and then I will be able to polish my book until it shines and send it off.

And then, who knows...?



21 comments:

  1. Wow, congratulations and good luck! I'm a bit confused though. Publishers have asked to see your manuscript and you also mention polishing your book 'till it shines in Sept? A different book? Gawd woman how prolific are you?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah it's the same one, back from professional edit but I want to make some changes before submission. The next one will be written in November :o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well then... that's wonderful news. No matter what the publisher says, at least it's a stepping stone in the right direction.

    I hope to see another post soon about even better news... (if you catch my drift!)

    Jim Bronyaur

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is absolutely fantastic news! Well done. You are having a storming year.

    Hope to hear more good news very very soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so pleased for you, your hardwork is all moving in the right direction. Well done Rebecca!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh - this is fantastics news! Hoorah! *does the happy dance*
    How totally brilliant for you :)
    Well done. I'm over-the-moon for you
    xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations. And good luck with the book polishing but don't over-polish. You can sometimes polish away the best bits that way.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my word! How absolutely brilliant! Good for you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What very good news, well done.

    For them to actually request to see it, they must be extremely interested. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. that's wonderful!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    congratulations!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i'm seriously thrilled for you! (i'm sure you can tell, right?)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think maybe you have misjudged, it was for contact for the stories.

    Thank you for the link.

    Bestv wishes.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congratulations. It is very exciting when a publisher contacts you to request your work. I can only imagine how euphoric you must feel. Good luck. And I hope everything works out well for you.

    P.S. how did the cheese sauce come out?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you for all of the comments so far! I have to admit I don't think it's really sunk in yet. It probably will do when I finally send the manuscript off. There will be some nail chewing then, I can tell you!

    Steve I have emailed.

    As for the cheese sauce - well I have a bit of a reputation for being good at making cheese sauce, luckily. Thanks for asking!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ooh, good luck! Keep us all informed, wontcha?

    ReplyDelete
  15. OMG that is AMAZING! I am so excited for you. :D

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hurrah! Good luck with the Mr Sheen :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Well done. That really is so exciting. I'm thrilled for you. Vx

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh Rebecca thats great. Well done - on each success!

    ReplyDelete
  19. That is great news for your novel. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  20. You are on your way Rebecca. Congrats on all the hard, but rewarding work you have and are doing.

    Bless your heart, and as you asked:

    PICK ME :)

    CJ

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thank you so much for your comment CJ. I am so sorry to say this but after your last lovely comment on a previous post, I drove myself crazy trying to work out who you are and didn't ever actually work it out! Any chance you could let me know via the 'contact me' section of my blog - drop me a note by email? Then I can actually put your name in for the books (both or just one?). Thank you.

    ReplyDelete