Saturday, 7 August 2010

My First Book: The Process

In the past couple of weeks, people have been asking me about my book quite regularly, so I thought I would write about it in more detail here.

I wrote the first draft of this book during NaNoWriMo 2009. I then took a huge step back from it and did not open the file up again until earlier this year. NaNoWriMo is very intense, so I think I needed that breathing space to be able to re-focus both my attention and enthusiasm.

In the meantime, I did a lot of reading on the process of getting published. I read a lot of articles that were shared via Twitter, and finally bought ‘The Writers’ and Artists’ Yearbook 2010’ and Carole Blake’s book “From Pitch to Publication…” which re-emphasised a lot of what I had read previously, and included some new information too. I highly recommend these books for anyone else who is hoping to get their work published.

I had done four edits of my manuscript myself by this point. I got to the point where I was happy with the first chapter so I sent it off to three trusted friends of mine for their thoughts. Rachel has many years experience of working in publishing and a keen eye for typos, Keris is a published author, and Sarah has experience in all sorts things to do with writing and publishing, many of which I am still finding out about. By this stage I had almost had enough of my story, so I waited for the feedback with mixed feelings.

All of the feedback I received was helpful. Sarah, who is obviously a very clever cookie, sent the chapter back to me fully edited. This renewed my enthusiasm to edit. I am pleased to say that she is now going to edit the whole book for me. Hopefully, I will have it ready to hand over soon. Sarah is wonderful at many, many things, but singing her own praises is something that is not on the list, so I feel the need to do so. Follow both her and Keris on Twitter and you will not be disappointed.

My plan is to try and get this book finished before October so that I can start my next one during NaNoWriMo 2010. Luckily I write by sitting down and typing what comes in to my head. I have a main character in my mind, but that is all of the planning that I will do before 1 November.

Further details on the subject matter for my book can be found here:

My First Book: The Story

6 comments:

  1. Very exciting, I love following your editing tweets and can't wait to see what happens with your book! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's all very interesting and exciting, Rebecca. I'm signed up for this year's NaNoWriMo and am so glad it has helped you to be so productive.
    I think it was a very good idea to take a break from your WIP.
    Good luck with the final stretch - we will be following you all the way, of course xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad everything is coming together Rebecca - and with such great helpers! Well done x

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are doing such an amazing job on this, and working so hard at it. I am so excited about eventually reading your book! Keep at it and good luck on NaNoWriMo 2010!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for sharing how you've approached working on the WiP that came out of last year's NaNoWriMo. It's all the more interesting for someone like me, who's considering doing it for the first time this year.

    I think you were right to put your WiP away for a while and come back to it fresh in order to edit it. And you enlisted some excellent help in Rachel, Sarah and Keris to get you through the editing stage.

    I wish you every success, Rebecca. You certainly deserve it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like you've made fabulous progress and this is a great way of tracking where you're at - for yourself and your followers. I plan to do NaNoWriMo this year - slightly daunted by the whole idea though having taking several weeks to get to 6,000 words on my new novel!

    ReplyDelete