Tuesday, 28 September 2010

Writing Tools: Six Minute Story


As every writer knows, there are times when the ideas flow and we have free time and an open mind to channel these stories.

There are other times when we have very little time and a million other things to be doing. We all know that life can be hectic, and it can be frustrating when you want to write and you can't seem to fit it in.

These excuses have been made redundant due to a fantastic website called Six Minute Story. You simply go to the website, pick your prompt, and once you click in the text box you have a total of six minutes to write and edit your story.

You can pick which prompt you wish to use, or if you want to be really daring you can go straight to the site and click in the box to see the prompt of the day. That means you have to think on the fly. I admit, I have yet to take the latter approach.

Six Minute Story is like a micro version of NaNoWriMo, and similar to Dr Wicked's fabulous Write Or Die. With all of these tools, you end up with a piece of writing but the pace is furious. It's not for the faint hearted but it is a fabulous adrenaline rush and will remove your writer's block and make you feel like you have achieved something even with very limited time.

Why not give it a try? It will only take up six minutes of your time.

If you would like to see some of my Six Minute Stories alongside the prompt photographs, please take a look at them on the Six Minute Story site.

5 comments:

  1. I've been obsessed with 6 minute story since you tweeted about it! Didn't realise you could switch prompts though, I've been writing each one as the prompt appear! I do like to make life dificult for myself!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Emma - when you click on 'Write', you can then click on 'Write using another prompt' in the box on the right...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Rebecca. I came over from Steve Green's site. I've been reading some of your posts and they are interesting. I like the idea of the 6 minute write. I sometimes do the 1 minute write and that is a bit short.

    So, you have a new follower. Happy writing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi L'Aussie. I've been following you for a while on here at Twitter. I haven't heard of 1 minute write - that definitely sounds a bit too short to me!!
    Thanks for following,
    Rebecca

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi! Been wanting to try this out since I heard you mention it about a month ago! I finally jumped in today and went with a prompt!
    My heart was thumping, my palms got sweaty and although I'm normally a quick typist, I suddenly became all thumbs.
    It certainly gets the juices flowing!
    Can't imagine a 1 minute write though!
    ;0)

    ReplyDelete