Thursday, 4 November 2010

NaNoWriMo: Day 4: Avoiding Distraction

I have discovered something in the past three days. I have a higher level of OCD about checking my emails, Twitter and Facebook than I thought. For the past three mornings I resolved to not look at the Internet until I have written my quota for the day.

As a result by about 10.45 am I have had my quota written and not felt resentful about tackling the housework. This is very different to how I have been previously, as I have been known to spend a whole day panicking about everything that I have to do, and achieving nothing as a result.

I have been doing exactly what I blogged about yesterday, and stocking up on words, as my weekends will be my difficult times and I need a big buffer.

This is obviously easier said than done if you are working or have a house full of children. I use soft play centres as a place to go and let the children run while I write some words. It's not as glamorous as Starbucks, but it works well, as you know they can't get up to mischief or escape from these places, so you can concentrate during the times they are occupied.

As for people who work, I'm guessing that it's early starts, evenings and weekends. Which is exactly the opposite of what I can personally be doing. My children are up early and I am exhausted by the evenings, and at weekends all three of them are at home, along with my husband who is occupied with fitting the kitchen himself.

In summary, we all have to find our own way to carve out our own writing time and at the same time minimise our stress.

Good luck and I hope it is going well for you so far.

1 comment:

  1. It sounds like a very difficult task you've got for yourself there. You also sound like you're really well organised. Well done for being on top of it so far but don't beat yourself up if you fall behind a little. There's always the next day.

    ReplyDelete