Thursday, 25 November 2010

Short Story: Benjamin Smithers

Mr Weaver is out. I sigh with pleasure as I watch his house. He must have been gone for a while. Maybe he’s even due to be home soon. That would be perfection. I slip my card through his door, then hurry back to the van and go on my way. Thick black fumes splutter out of the exhaust as I floor the accelerator to make the onward journey more entertaining.

In the next village a baby squeals, unsettled. I can remember that pitch from when my wife held our babies in her arms, cooing and pacing to lull them to sleep. I wait and watch as the sounds diminish. I can imagine Bethany Morris gently putting her little one down in his cot now. I expect she will settle down for a rest when her baby sleeps. A small smile tries to contort my lips when I see her blinds being closed upstairs. I’ll give her ten minutes.

As I get out of my van and walk towards the door, my finger tingles. The excitement mounts as I reach up and press the doorbell. I hold it that tiny bit longer than is strictly necessary. A high pitched squeal sounds inside, and I smile to myself again. My work is done. The door opens and I say, “Delivery for Ms Morris.”
A dishevelled, bleary-eyed face looks at me as she signs the delivery slip.

“Have a great day,” I say cheerily as I stride back down the path to the sound of the baby's screams.

My special training has paid off. It takes skill to know when people are out or resting. I settle back into the driver's seat and make another mark on my tally chart.

Benjamin Smithers Always Delivers shines on the outside of my van as I speed along the road towards my next victim.

9 comments:

  1. Haha good one. I see you've done some research on delivery men. I wrote a poem about them. I'll post it on my blog later

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here is a link to Trevor's poem. Well worth a read.

    http://www.trevorbelshaw.com/blog/?p=252

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brilliant! I enjoyed it so much I had to read it three times. You've got Benjamin's character spot on. I'm wondering which delivery man inspired this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wonder if the FBI will show up under the guise of postal workers...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fantastic character here Rebecca! Benjamin would be great for a serial...hint, hint. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sometimes, you do wonder, though! Nice characterization.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nicely done, letting the story move from a seemingly straightforward description of a deliveryman. Do what you love, and love what you do? It does seem as though sometimes it's a matter of loving the wrong parts. I must say that I'd hate to be a delivery driver at the Emin household ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Haha. nicely descriptive Rebecca, I think the delivery men in our area must have the same wicked sense of humour.

    ReplyDelete