Monday, 22 November 2010

Storyville: Women Writers Festival

Yesterday I had a day out in Brighton for Storyville: Women Writers Festival. In all honesty I went for one event, which was New Voices and that was because Caroline Smailes was on the panel.

I love Caroline's style of writing and am also an avid follower of the Bubblecow blog so I was really excited to be invited to tag along with Caroline, our mutual friend D.J.Kirkby as well as Clare Christian and Alex Brown before the event. We met up in the coffee shop next to the Brighton museum and Dome, and spent a good few hours having a chat about all manner of things from writing to publishing to families and even more random subjects. I enjoyed it so much; the time seemed to fly by.

The panel itself was meant to include three authors, but one of them didn't turn up, so it was Caroline and Anjali Joseph who both did a reading from their books and told us all about their writing and lives. I found the event fascinating and particularly loved hearing about Caroline's connection with Malta, and seeing her own copy of Like Bees to Honey with it's beautiful hand-crafted cover. Anjali Joseph described her novel Saraswati Park which sounded very interesting and is now on my 'to read' list.

After the panel, I had to say my goodbyes (and a quick hello to another writer I had met previously) and dash off back to the real world of families and houses. The cold water tank in our attic was leaking and my husband was replacing it as well as being on childcare duty. But that's another story...



You can follow the lovely people I spent Sunday with on Twitter:
@Caroline_S @djkirkby @clare166
 @alexbrownbooks  @anjalij

3 comments:

  1. It sounds like it was a wonderful day and I would have loved to have joined you all. Next time...!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always find those sort of writing events really inspiring. I arrive home with lots of new ideas and enthusiasm. It sounds like it was that sort of an event for you too. Wish I could have been there. As Kath said, maybe next time.

    ReplyDelete