Friday, 14 January 2011

My Latest Writing News In Brief

If you follow me on Twitter, you will have noticed that I have been rather quiet on the timeline lately. There are many reasons for this, as things have gone a bit crazy in the past couple of weeks. I will cover my latest news in brief here, with a view to blogging in more detail when I have some time.

I have been asked to fill a slot in a Literary Mix Tape anthology called (Nothing But) Flowers. This is a charity anthology and the stories have to be 1500 words, give or take a couple. This is the first time that I have been given a slot somewhere without having to submit a story first, so I have been feeling really nervous about stepping up to the mark. Anyway, I sent my story straight to the lovely Jodi Cleghorn, whose project this is, today. Luckily I can tell you that the story seemed to go down well. 

I then heard of 100 Stories for Queensland and I have become a voluntary reader for this project. I find myself working with an amazing team of people, and learning a lot about how submission processes go from the other side of the fence. It's been absolutely fascinating so far, and I feel honoured to be working in such great company, for such a good cause.

Just before this happened, I volunteered to type up an interview for Greg McQueen from Big Bad Media for a forthcoming project of his. The subject matter was very interesting, but doing this did make me realise that I can't quite type as fast as someone talks in an interview situation! But anyway, that job has been finished and sent off today.

Then there is the small matter of submitting my novel, which I have done recently after another read through of the first half of it. I want to read the rest of it through too, when I get a couple of hours.

And, just because I like being busy (!!) I am marking up some copy for a friend of mine. Red circles around punctuation marks etc. As you do.

In the middle of all of this, my latest edit of my story Tour and Duty has been published on the Cafe Lit website. This may lead to it being included in a trade book at a later date, so that is quite exciting.

I also had another competition piece shortlisted (my Tinsel Tale 'Coming Home') which was the judge's number 10. As there were quite a few entries, I was really pleased.

And that, my friends, is my news. Perhaps not such a brief post after all!

12 comments:

  1. Well done you! It's always good to stay busy writing, and congrats on your submissions!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Devil makes work for idle hands or so they say. He'll never get to give you any work Rebecca, you never seem to have a minute spare. Congratulations, well deserved successes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. nothing rambling or rusty about your work Rebecca, congratulations on your well deserved successes

    ReplyDelete
  4. Excellent news! Always glad to see someone as busy as me! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like you have been busy. I don't know how you did it with 3 kids and a teenager. I get exhausted babysitting my nephew and he's only one kid.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! Sounds busy and productive! Congrats on your many accomplishments!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congrats on your story being short-listed! I followed you over from Glynis's blog. Nice to meet you! Best of luck with your novel query and competition entries :))

    ReplyDelete
  8. You submitted your novel??? SQUEE!!!!! Congrats on everything else too but seriously....squee!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congrats! I have a blog award for you over at So,Write. Stop by when you have a chance.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, I needed a nap after just reading how busy you are! My word, congratulations seems pretty pathetic, so I will say CONGRATULATIONS, on your achievements.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I know why we get along so well Rebecca... we're both busy bees. So glad to have you on board with Nothing But Flowers and your story is brilliant.

    I must get around to writing about crowd sourced literature one day. It reminds me of a scene from Dangerous Minds, back in the 90's, where all the kids are given an 'A' at the start of the new teachers time in the class. They then have to work hard to keep the 'A'... I guess that's what inviting writers to be part of something it like. You've already got your place, so you can just concentrate on writing the best possible story.

    Or I'm just trotting our rubbish at 1:46am! Hope you're feeling better XXX

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, congratulations! You have been busy with fun (and important) things.

    The 100 Stories for Queensland is a great cause, so kudos to you for getting involved. I was already looking forward to the (Nothing But) Flowers anthology, and now, knowing another author it, I'd doubly so.

    ReplyDelete