Thursday, 17 February 2011

Friday Flash: Interplanetary Domination

‘Survival of the fastest’ isn’t taught, but passed down in our genetic code.  When we invade, we are instantly looking forward, planning the next relocation, waiting for the next random moment when two planets move close enough for transfer.

During these glorious seconds, we scramble and race. Tiny links between old and new worlds create pathways for our scrambling feet. New territories are always there for the taking. We spread our young far and wide, and we mine for food. Our food supplies are plentiful, but we always meet with some resistance eventually.

We have no control of the metal and chemical weapons that are unleashed towards our kind. We live in contentment; when the time comes for us to perish, others will have succeeded during the last interplanetary collision.

We are invincible.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

If you would like to know what 'inspired' this story, it's the delightful species that is head lice. Although they are incredibly annoying, especially to parents of children who hug their friends a lot, the species is so well adapted for survival, they gained enough respect for me to write a story from their point of view.

16 comments:

  1. That was chilling ... I think the word for these things is "implacable". Interesting take on a non-alien species.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And here I was thinking it was either aliens or - as a surprise twist - us. Silly me!

    Nicely done.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You had me imagining all types of worlds and then you hit me with 'head lice'. Ugh! Sneaky story!

    Denise:)

    #fridayflash Meet me at Union Station

    ReplyDelete
  4. ha ha ha ha didn't guess but had a sneaking suspicion all was not what it seemed! Very descriptive and "itchingly" lifelike!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I absolutely loved the build up...I expected a clash between occupants of opposing planets---I didn't see head lice coming.

    Scratching my head in wonder.

    Stuart :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This works really well as we read along thinking it's the macro, cosmological scale, when actually it's taking place at microscopic level. Excellent.

    Marc Nash

    ReplyDelete
  7. And here I thought you were aiming at humans in a critique. Much more direct and apt on darned lice. Witless are they that I'm about to plunge my boy's head underwater and reek Armageddon with special shampoo.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very good! I was expecting ants. Daughter Dearest had lice problems in her youth, but we've fortunately gotten past that.

    I've always said, a parasite is a critter applying for a job as a symbiote. If they'd get small enough to be invisible, and keep our hair clean, they just might make it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good one. This story reads well on many levels. I imagine this is a true horror story for parents when an outbreak occurs in your child's social circle.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I too thought there would be a clash of different worlds Rebecca. Head lice is much scarier! Good job of describing their world.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Now my head itches! Great description, all around.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Itch itch... your explanation made the piece much more, uh, sensual.

    itch itch...

    ReplyDelete
  13. That was very effective and very clever. You had me in the stars but the idea of bent heads as planets. Excellent!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great micro Rebecca, I thought it was a sci-fi at first.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Good one. Those head lice, like most insects, have done a good job of winning the evolution game. Very chilling story!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love it! Especially this "During these glorious seconds, we scramble and race." Good one, Rebecca!

    ReplyDelete