Thursday, 24 February 2011

It's Only A Number: Flash Fiction Competition

The Good Old Days: Me at 20
This is the year that I turn 40, and I had so much fun when my writing pal Alison Wells turned 40 and had a competition on her blog, that I've decided to have one myself.

Over the past couple of years, I have developed a love for flash fiction, so as a result I'd like to see flash fiction of 200 words or less, which must include one of the following phrases: 'It's only a number' or 'It's just another number'.

First prize will be £10 (or equivalent) plus a copy of one of the anthologies I've been involved with. (The winner can chose.)

Second prize will be a copy of one of the anthologies (as above).

Third prize will be a choice of a copy of either 'Yesterday' or 'Shambelurkling and Other Stories.' 


Here's the obligatory list of rules:
1. E-mail your entry to justanumber40@yahoo.co.uk Your entry should be in word format. Please do not include your name on the word document itself. 
2. Wordcount is 200 maximum including the title but not your name. There is no minimum wordcount.
3. Please only submit your own work. Previously blogged/published/adapted works are allowed, and copyright remains with the author at all times.
4.If you enter this competition, you agree that your entry may be published on my blog after the competition closes.
5. The competition is open to anyone, until the last timezone passes midnight on 20 April 2011.
6. Your entry will be disregarded if it does not include one of the following phrases: 'It's only a number' or 'It's just another number'.
7. Any genre is allowed.
8. Only one entry per person please.
9. Judging will be by a carefully selected panel of readers. Their decision will be final, whether I agree with them or  not ;o)
10. I will acknowledge receipt of every entry. If you do not hear from me within 3 days of submission, please feel free to query.

You can find an update on the competition here.

Have fun!

I have today, set up a Facebook 'page'.  I am going to use it as a place to record my publication news and also link to any stories that are out there on the internet.

20 comments:

  1. Dear Rebecca;

    Hooray and happy birthday in advance. Your contest sounds very fun!

    (Leaves mumbling "It's just a number, it's just a number . . ."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations, nearing my big 50 but do not have your eloquence, enjoy your competition.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well congrats in advance, being 40 is....interesting. Your photo is really gorgeous but to be honest I thought it was a current photo until I saw the caption! So then I compared it to the other more recent one - very little difference! (Only close up - ha ha!) I had great fun with my comp and I love the premise of yours, will be very interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice one. Happy Birthday in advance.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome idea Rebecca! I'm chewing already... and it is just a silly number, bah! (I'm a couple years behind ya, forty smorty. They're going to be the best years I should think!)

    Such a fun idea.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love this idea! Might have to borrow it for my 35th this year. I just entered your contest, so inspired was I! An advanced Happy Birthday to you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Heehee, I wish I'd thought about this two years ago when I turned 50!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am absolutely thrilled by the response to this contest so far. I have received 4 entries already, which is a lovely surprise.

    Thank you all for your lovely comments.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Brave woman putting up a pic of you at 20. I daren't. I was wearing shoulder pads the size of pillows, wearing make up like a Dynasty cast member & had a perm even Brian May would have avoided.At least yours looks fresh faced & love the flowing locks. :-)
    *Kate proceeds to pick up a pen and wonders if she can get the words 'coffee' and 'brioche' in there too* :-) XXX

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm looking the big 6-0 square on in May - and to be honest, it bothers me not one bit. I feel better psychologically now than I did when I turned 40 - I'm much more comfortable in myself.

    Lovely competition - am so tempted to go in for it :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you all for your lovely comments, and Lady Eversley I am so with you in being underwhelmed by the numbers. I actually set up the competition to give me something to be excited about! As long as I spend my birthday with my family, that's all I care about really.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great idea, and just what I needed to get me writing today. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I realise I haven't commented on this post. So sorrey. I love this idea and you already have my entry. Good luck to everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Rebecca,
    What a wonderful way to celebrate your birthday!
    I've shared this on Facebook.
    Happy birthday in advance.
    Rohi

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've emailed my entry. Happy belated birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks everyone for the comments and entries, I have received 21 to date which has been amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Rebecca,

    I have sent you my 'one' submission, such as it is. It's only a number.
    I hope it is the kind of thing that will strike a fancy with not only the audience, but with the judges, and you as well.

    Anyway, it was my pleasure to indulge your flash fiction competition.

    John

    ReplyDelete
  18. ahhhh. its just a number - seriously - 40 is the new 20s.. so I have been told.....

    ReplyDelete
  19. :D I entered! Such a fun way to celebrate just another number. *wink*

    ReplyDelete