Thursday, 10 March 2011

Friday Flash: The Balloon

I recently joined the forum My Writers Circle which is full of useful information and friendly, helpful people. When I mentioned that I liked flash fiction, I was pointed in the direction of a contest, so I entered it. The task was to write a flash containing exactly 200 words, using one or more of the words circus, clouds or zombie.

The option was to start the story 'Never before...'

So below is my entry, which was voted 2nd place in an anonymous poll:


The Balloon

Never before had the village green looked so exciting. A Big Top was being erected as I walked past and my stomach flipped with excitement at the sight of it.

“Can we go to the circus?” was the first thing I asked when I got home.
“Look what I bought today,” Mum said, smiling as she showed me two tickets. “Tomorrow at two.”

~~~

“Want a balloon?” a woman asked. She wore gloves, despite the warm weather.
“Go on, pick one,” Mum said.
I picked a red balloon with an image of a clown. The woman handed it to me with a toothless smile.

The smell of sawdust filled the air as the trapeze artists flew above our heads. Later, they called everyone with a clown balloon into the ring, and I was allowed to help the clowns with their magic.

At the end of the show, the ringmaster asked everyone with a zombie balloon to stay behind for a special treat.  As the balloon seller slammed the doors behind us, she suddenly yanked the balloon out of my hand. As I tearfully watched it float skywards towards the fluffy white clouds, she hissed at me: “Lucky escape, sonny, lucky escape.”

14 comments:

  1. Wow that was brilliant. Loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My first visit here - I really enjoyed this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you both so much! It was so much fun to write as it had to be *exactly* 200 words, I love a challenge like that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I thought I recognised your style when I visited Writers circle, well done! I don't like zombies but your made me smile thx :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations! This deserved a winnin spot.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I knew it wasn't just an irrational fear of all things circus!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Already being fearful of clowns, not to mention zombies, this was a good fright Rebecca. Congratulations on placing second, that's great!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh well done on the 2nd place Rebecca, and for managing to work all three words into 200, I have never tried it, but I imagine writing a story to an exact word-count is probably much harder than it would seem.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very hard to keep a story to an exact number of words, especially so few, and have it turn out so well. Nicely done! Congrats on placing in the contest too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Circuses and clowns make a great drop for a creepy story. Yikes! I will have to give a 200 word count a go one of these days. Good job.

    ReplyDelete
  11. haha, and I would so have picked a zombie balloon (after all, clowns are scary, right?)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Zombie balloons, clown balloons. Potayto, potahto. :) Fun read!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I just knew you'd get zombies in there. Zombies and clowns beg for mash-ups.

    ReplyDelete