Wednesday, 30 March 2011

Interview with Rachel Lyndhurst



I met Rachel Lyndhurst via Twitter. I'm very pleased about this; with my recently adopted policy of (mostly) buying books by people I have spoken to, without this chance meeting I would never have had the pleasure of reading Storm's Heart, Rachel's debut novel, which has recently been published by Embrace Books.

An extract from the book blurb reads: When Greek lawyer Andreas Lazerides and bistro-manager Kizzy Dean clash over the executing of his mother's final wishes, he takes matters into his own hands and Kizzy back with him to Ancient Greece.

Storm's Heart is a fast-paced novel set on the beautiful island of Rhodes, featuring one of the hottest alpha males I've ever had the pleasure of reading. What else do I need to say? Perhaps, if you have small children (like I do) make sure they are otherwise engaged before settling down to read it.

Without further ado I have the great pleasure of welcoming Rachel here for the first interview I have ever hosted on my blog:


Hello Rachel and welcome to my blog.
When we met via Twitter, I instantly knew that you would become a firm favourite of mine. Do you feel that you are playing a role with your online persona?

Would it terrify you to know that I’m just being myself? Well, I almost am. I do take a step back and think about what I’m about to shoot off into cyberspace because, unlike a chat in the playground, what I say will be there forever and Big Brother is watching us more than he ever was. I also try not to rant about things that annoy me like dog mess, politics or religion, although I broke that rule on the issue of footballers spitting recently! And nobody likes a misery, if I’m having a grumpy moment, I stay well away from the Tweet button!


Let’s talk about your blog. I have to admit it is one that I visit regularly as it never fails to bring a smile to my face. What made you decide to create a blog that was such a work of art in its own right?

Ha! Flattery will get you everywhere! I have to be honest and admit that I’d put off starting a blog for years, as I just didn’t think anyone would be interested in reading it! However when I got ‘the email’ from Embrace, I knew the time had come to grit my teeth and get on with it. I started tweeting and Facebooking at the same time.
I’m not a pastels sort of girl, big bold colours, flavours and visuals do it for me – just like Mediterranean and Latino men! The design just ‘happened’ when I started to experiment with Blogger, somehow the background of spilt red wine just seemed right …


As I mentioned above, your debut novel, Storm’s Heart has been published by Embrace Books. How do you feel now you’re a published novelist?

Vindicated. After years of people asking what I ‘do all day’ (ignoring the hours of childcare, housework and domestic admin a stay at home mum has to do!), I can now say hand on heart ‘I am a writer’. And then the next question always follows: ‘Anything published?’ Being able to say, ‘Yes’ is the best feeling ever because, strange as it may seem, not everyone you meet wants you to be successful.

Andreas Lazarides. Hmm! How did you make your hero so sizzling hot?

I let my fantasies run wild! Storm’s Heart is an escapist read, so if you can’t go mad within the pages or a romance novel when can you? I wrote the romantic hero I wanted to read, and made him as irresistible as I dared. The gamble seems to have paid off – it seems a lot of readers think along the same lines!


What’s next then? How will the perfect hero cope with a sleep deprived wife and being surrounded with nappies and pureed vegetables?

Easy. Kizzy will have all her heart desires, including lots more babies. Andreas will be a hands-on, doting father and husband and still, conveniently, a millionaire. I’ll probably be shot for this, but what new mum hasn’t dreamt about having nannies, cooks, cleaners and a spa retreat for when things get too much? Well I do! I’m keeping the fantasy going – life’s tough enough!


There has been significant online discussion about certain explicit scenes in Storm’s Heart. What would you say if someone asked you to sign a copy of your book and dedicate it to their 86 year old Great Aunt Hilda?

I will tell you now that some of the Great Aunt Hildas of the world are getting up to more mischief than you could possibly imagine, so I’d never discount anyone as a reader. However, I have warned everyone I’ve personally signed/sold a copy of Storm’s Heart to that there’s hot adult content. Strangely, this doesn’t seem to have put anyone off yet …


As for your novels, what do you have in the pipeline for us to look forward to?

Rachel Lyndhurst
I’m currently finishing off a new story that involves an Italian CEO with arctic blue eyes and Welsh roots, a feisty female quarry accountant and high emotional stakes in Portofino, Italy. Oh, and an advance warning, there are more scenes of an explicit nature, Great Aunt Hilda. Just saying …

Thanks so much for having me here today, Rebecca, I’ve been looking forward to this for ages!


So there we have it. Isn't she lovely? If you need further convincing, have a look at Rachel's blog for more information about both her and Storm's Heart. I will warn you now, it's not a blog you will be able to visit once and forget about.


If you've read this far you're in for a treat. I am very excited to be able to offer a signed and personally dedicated copy of Storm's Heart to one lucky reader. All you have to do is comment under this blog post to be in with a chance to win it. 

I will leave this open until 12 noon (UK time) on Friday 15th April. I will then pick a winner at random and pass their details on to Rachel.


You can purchase Storm's Heart via the following sites:

Click here for my review of Storm's Heart on Goodreads.

Thank you for reading!


22 comments:

  1. Fantastic interview and a fantastic book. I was honoured to have been given a signed copy of Storm's Heart and yes I have to admit I fell in love with Andreas please don't tell Joe ;o)

    I am also honoured to know Rachel personally standing in the playground day to day since our eldest were 4.5 yrs old now 12 arrggghhh feel old.

    Good luck to Rach, brilliant author and a wonderful and lovely friend

    Sorry for long comment ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really enjoyed this. Storm's Heart is on my list of things to order next from Amazon. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great interview and the excerpt of Storm's Heart is so interesting.

    Definitely one to add to the TBR!

    Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great interview, Rachel! I am DYING to read this book! Everyone is talking about how hot your hero is, you should be damn proud, girlfriend.

    Wish you loads of sales!

    Rachel x
    www.rachelbrimble.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, Sylv, cheque's in the post!

    Thanks for stopping by and commenting Brigita and good luck with the draw!

    I think you might enjoy Andreas,Nas, i certainly enjoyed writing him. Good luck in the draw too!!

    Aloha Rachel! Wishing you loads of sales back with Getting It Right This Time! You dudette, you! X

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great Interview and I can confirm that Storm's heart is a riveting read. First book I ever read on my Kindle and couldn't put it down. Andreas is a hero to die for and Kizzy is the perfect match for him.
    Looking forward to your next book Rachel :-D

    ReplyDelete
  7. Really, Doris? Your first kindle read?! I am SO flattered and thrilled you enjoyed it. I'm working on the Italian for you right now!
    X

    ReplyDelete
  8. Really enjoyed this great interview!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I know exactly what you mean Rachel, about people acting like it's a cakewalk to be home caring for children and writing a novel all day! They should walk a mile in our shoes, lol.

    And I too have frequently fantacized about various household helpers I wish I had (someone to do the ironing, please - I'm so bad at it!). I think every woman does at times!

    And wow, you're already finishing another novel!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nice interview, good questions and answers. Well done Rebecca and Rachel.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks,so much, Alison and it's great to see you here. Fingers crossed for the draw!

    Hello Ranae! Ironing? Oh that big pile that has a fireplace somewhere behind it. I'm going to just give up on it I think. Him Indoors has yet to be informed, mind ... xxx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Trevor! You have no idea how exciting it is to have a man dropping by and leaving a comment. Absolutely fabulous! Good luck in the prize draw, my dear!
    XXXXX

    ReplyDelete
  13. Just going to check that Great Aunt Hilda has left me something in her will before I give her the book.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Peter, it's chapter 6 and chapter 8 that'll do the trick either way. She may, however, enjoy Storm's Heart so much that she wants the next book as well. In that one I'm sticking in a chapter 4 ...

    If you win the prize draw you may be tempted to keep it all for yourself though, Peter. It's WONDERFUL to meet you here. XXXX

    ReplyDelete
  15. It was my first Kindle read too - And was a wonderful read :D Agree with Doris about Andreas :-P

    ReplyDelete
  16. She seems so lovely and her book sounds fab! Definitely heading over to her blog now. Thanks for the heads up!

    Helen

    ReplyDelete
  17. Teresa, you are an absolute superstar, thank you soooo much!

    Helen, I'm blushing, but completely thrilled we've found each other here at Rebecca's lovely blog.

    Good luck with the draw both of you!
    X

    ReplyDelete
  18. Excellent interview; I thoroughly enjoyed reading about Rachel. I always find the erotic scenes particularly difficult so to have a book that I can possibly learn from would be a gift in itself. From a writer's point of view, of course, lol.

    CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
  19. Crystal, it's fab to see you here! I hope you enjoy the erotic scenes and I hope they help. Drop me a line and let me know if you like! Chapters 6 and 8 btw ...

    X

    ReplyDelete
  20. Feels like I'm in with the in crowd here.

    Lin x

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a lovely interview, Rebecca (and Rachel of course!). Interesting, positive and encouraging. Makes me want to read the book, visit the blog and carry on writing - and tweeting - love the bit about footballers spitting!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thanks for stopping by, Lin and Deb! It's brilliant to see you here and to read your comments - the romance community is a wonderful one I've found.
    Good luck in the draw, Ladies!

    ReplyDelete