Friday, 8 April 2011

Friday Flash: The Lab

This flash was written for a challenge on My Writers Circle. The task was:

With 250 words, write a story in any genre, using any 3 of these five words or all if you can.
incognito
catastrophic
membrane
demonic
angel

Bonus points for awarded for using this phrase anywhere in the piece:
It bore a strong resemblance to my youngest daughter.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

The Lab

My research into membrane structures and osmosis was complete. The necessary experiments had been undertaken without anything catastrophic happening and I finished my dissertation months before my deadline. I decided to spend my remaining time at University utilising the available space in the spare room behind the lab.  My aging supervisor, Professor Morris, who had a quiet resentment of me for some reason I would never understand, would have been far from amused.

Ever since I saw the movie Incognito, I’d had a passion for art. There was something amazing about painting the naked female form and then turning the painting into a representation of an angel or some other mythical creature. I never failed to find willing volunteers to model for me after plying the undergraduates with a few free drinks at the bar.

On my last day at Uni, I entered the lab as always. Professor Morris came storming out of the back room and I felt shivers of fear running through my body.

“What’s with the paintings, Green?” he demanded.
“It’s just something I do for a hobby,” I replied.

Professor Morris put his hands on his hips.
“One of those angels, well, it bore a strong resemblance to my youngest daughter.”

As the realisation hit me of exactly who Miranda Morris had been, with her silky skin and her willing mouth, I looked up.  Professor Morris had a demonic look in his suddenly-familiar eyes. I knew that my chances of gaining a doctorate were over.


 * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

If you'd like to have a go at one of these challenges, I am hosting the next one, which is the reward for getting the most votes. You can find it here.

10 comments:

  1. That would be an oops moment. Nicely done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha! Yes, definitely an 'Ooohps' moment! And it made a good read!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful, Rebecca. Shame about the doctorate!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fantastic job of using all the words, and the phrase, Rebecca. Fantastic story, period!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wondered how the science-based research and the love of arts would come together. Whoops!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What an accomplishment, I don't know how you managed to write such an original and engaging story using all those words. Great!

    ReplyDelete
  7. membrane structure and osmosis? What did you used to be Rebecca?
    Great fun and an inventive way to use these words, although I kind of saw the phrase coming! (it was satisfying though)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well that's a bit awkward. Great short piece, Rebecca.
    Adam B @revhappiness

    ReplyDelete
  9. Definitely an "Oh boy, am I in trouble" moment. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. No longer a quiet resentment. This was quite funny, with a tiny creepy undertone.

    ReplyDelete