Friday, 13 May 2011

Friday Flash: Do You?


Do you?

Do you ever stare at a starry sky and wonder what your place is in all of this?

Do you hear the choirs of birdsong in your garden and imagine the meaning of each tune?

Or is the walk along this journey enough? Are you that important that none of it matters?

Sometimes I sit on a bench in a park, blowing smoke rings and watching the children play. They look at me like I’m a curiosity. “Mad Mr Jeffrey is at it again,” they whisper.

Do you look at a weathered face and wonder about the memories behind the creases?

I wouldn’t like to imagine how these infants would feel if they could read my mind and see the images that play there over and over. Distant times, faraway places; the recall as vivid as a show on TV.

Do you look at a hat, almost a century old, and wonder where it has been; picture the heads it has sat upon?

Would you put a message in a bottle? Do you think there is someone who would read it? Or instead, would you wrap your coat around you and leave the shoreline?

Do you think perhaps, one day, you’ll look up at a starry night, and finally realise?

16 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed the read, the questions were very thought provoking. Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  2. Liked the questions you asked and the way you asked them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. we do, that's why we're writers and curious children both.

    Lovely stuff

    marc nash

    ReplyDelete
  4. Part of this was inspired by things my hairdresser said this morning. I'll have to thank him...

    ReplyDelete
  5. When I had hair, all the hairdresser used to say was "Have you been on holiday?' or 'Are you going out tonight?'. Clearly you have a different class of hairdresser over there if he can inspire stories like this!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pete, he's multi-talented I have to say, he's also a tutor for drama students and directs plays. Most importantly a friend. Always got a story to tell... Shame I only need to get my hair cut every 7/8 weeks really ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Definitely, I'd be changing hairstyles so I could visit him more often. Nice piece :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely! I really like this, it has a great feel to it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wonderful. It actually inspires more questions than it asks, mainly: why do we ignore all those weathered faces and the tales they might have to tell? Thank you so much for this - I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Loved this. Really beautifully paced and made me think.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I tend not to grasp for the metaphysical specifics, rather embracing feelings as echoes of veracity. But I do wonder.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great piece, Rebecca, lovely to read, and reflect on.

    ReplyDelete
  13. And it is because you ask these questions that you write. And you write very well. Perhaps well enough to find the answer?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yes, I do. Sometimes I think I'd be better off if I didn't. Thinking honestly about the answers can be very painful.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wonderful questions. The one that hit home for me (hit home most - all had their own impact) was:

    "Would you put a message in a bottle? Do you think there is someone who would read it? Or instead, would you wrap your coat around you and leave the shoreline?"

    I like to believe I'd not do the second of those two things - rather open my coat and myself to possibility.

    A great read...for all the thinking it provokes.

    ReplyDelete
  16. A lot of pondering going on at the moment.

    ReplyDelete