Thursday, 5 May 2011

Interview with Kathryn Brown

An extract from the blurb for Discovery at Rosehill reads: "Finding your dream home is difficult enough, but what if you found it and then discovered it was haunted?

When The Reverend Marcus Calloway introduces himself to her, a friendship develops and Camilla realises she could at last have found her true love. But all is not what it seems when further spirit contact confirms that Marcus harbours a guilty secret.

Spirit communication, manifestations and an eerie atmosphere all add to Camilla’s new surroundings as she tries hard to decipher mixed messages and a life she never knew existed. An open mind is all she asks for as her relationship with Marcus grows and the secrets of Rosehill are discovered with help from her relatives of a world beyond our own."


Discovery at Rosehill is the first paranormal romance novel I've read and I wasn't sure what to expect, but I enjoyed it so much that I invited the author, Kathryn Brown, to my blog for an interview. So, without further ado:


Hello Kathryn, and welcome to my blog!

How did you come up with the idea for Discovery at Rosehill?

I wanted to write about ghosts. My life contains many of them and one in particular, my dad, made me realise it was time to put pen to paper and just get on with it. The spirit world is a big part of who I am and I wanted to share that with the world. Or at least my readers! Inspiration also came in the form of my farm; a beautiful country dwelling set high on a hill amongst stunning panoramic landscape. The house is haunted and just like Camilla (the main character), I felt drawn to live here and make a discovery about who I am.

Romance plays a big part in the story, too. Although I’m not romantic I did want to make my main characters that way, particularly Marcus, the reverend. The character of Ross is based on an old-flame of mine, someone I was totally in love with but I guess we all have a few skeletons!


As the readers of your blog will already know, you live and work on a farm and have a daughter with Autism, which together must take up a lot of time. How did you find the time to actually write a book?

Good question! It took three years from planning to eventually writing those wonderful words, The End. The editing took six months. But unfortunately, I took about seven months off last year after my epilepsy flared up and caused me to have continuous seizures. I had to limit time on the computer and lost motivation to write. Eventually, I was put on different medication and decided to knuckle down again, get it finished, wrapped up, before I needed to find an editor.

Looking after Amy, my eleven year old daughter, is an incredibly rewarding aspect of my life. Her autism doesn’t faze me these days, even though she can often be quite challenging. I suppose I’m used to this way of life; daughter, writing, husband and farm, probably in that order! I wrote this book when Amy was in school, but when it came to the editing it became an evening job, too. I’m afraid I feel ashamed to say I neglected my motherly duties somewhat and let my husband take over occasionally. They have both supported me tremendously.


Is Rosehill based on an actual place?

Oh yes; my home! When I first moved into this house there were so many rooms to renovate. I’ve done the house up gradually but there are still rooms to do. The cellars in this house are the same cellars Camilla talks about in Rosehill. Creepy, damp, dark and full of cobwebs. But incredibly atmospheric at the same time. Just perfect!


Have you had any paranormal experiences yourself?

Too many to mention. Many of the paranormal experiences Camilla tells us about at Rosehill, are my own. I obviously “beefed” them up and fictionalised them to add a bit of excitement but many are taken from my home.

My dad is around me and makes sure I know it whenever he feels I need him. Very often I experience tobacco smoke and the smell of TCP; my late father-in-law who lived in this house all his life, smoked like a chimney and used TCP on a daily basis. I also smell pipe smoke, sometimes very strongly, and my husband’s grandfather who bought this place in 1919, smoked a pipe like there was no tomorrow!

Not long after I first moved here, I was sat in a lounge, which is now our dining room and got a very strong whiff of Vanderbilt perfume. It’s got quite a distinctive aroma and I knew immediately what it was. The following day, I asked my father-in-law who was still alive back then, could he remember what perfume his wife used to wear and his response, without hesitation was, “Vanderbilt. It was her favourite.”

We have a beautiful gilt-framed mirror on the half landing which was put up in the 1800’s by previous occupants of the house. The stair case is original, from when the house was built in 1750 and I have often seen figures in the mirror, gliding up and down stairs. Sometimes, if I’m feeling particularly sensitive, I like to run my hands up and down the banister and feel energy. It’s the most incredible feeling; like having an out-of-body experience, as though I was living in this house in a previous life, perhaps even as the Lady of the House.

With regard to the romance in the book, I love the way you keep us guessing about who Camilla will end up with. Without giving anything away for people who haven’t read the book, did it ever cross your mind to use an alternative to the way it turned out?

Of course! The first draft was very much a love-triangle but it made Camilla sound too much like a tramp, and as my editor pointed out quite rightly, it didn’t fit her character. I didn’t know who she would end up with until half way through the book. I couldn’t make up my mind. I’m glad I keep readers guessing because I kept myself guessing, too!


Do you have any plans for another novel in the future?

Absolutely. I’m hoping to get started on it when Amy goes back to school on 3rd May. I was thinking about a sequel to Discovery at Rosehill and it has been suggested that it could be something worth thinking about. But right now, I have already started to plan a romance, without the paranormal this time, but perhaps a little mystery. I do love a triangle in a relationship, so it might have that, too. I’ve already thought of my main characters names, Tom and Lydia. It’ll be written in 3rd person this time, whereas Rosehill was written in 1st person. But I’m not going to give myself a deadline; my life dictates that I just do what I can. Keeping up with my blog can often be a full-time job but I don’t want to neglect it whatever I do.

Thank you for visiting my blog!

I am delighted to say that Kathryn is offering a signed and dedicated paperback copy of her book to one reader. All you have to do is put a comment below to be in with a chance of winning. This will remain open until 5pm UK time on Thursday 12th May when we will select a winner at random.



Find out more about Kathryn via the following links:

Watch the book trailer: YouTube


Kathryn's Paranormal Blog where she publishes guest posts of paranormal experiences: www.marvellousmable.blogspot.com


Buy Discovery at Rosehill direct from Kathryn via her blog and you will receive a signed copy

Buy in Paperback:    Amazon.com
                                    Amazon.co.uk
                                    Ebay.co.uk
                                    Lulu.com

Kindle:                       Amazon.com
                                    Amazon.co.uk

Kathryn is on facebook: www.facebook.com/CrystalJigsaw
Kathryn is on Twitter: www.twitter.com/CrystalJigsaw
Add the book on Goodreads

20 comments:

  1. I may be a skeptic whose actively involved in Paranormal Research, but I'm also a romantic at heart so to combine the two is, quite literally, a dream come true! Can't wait to read it...the interview has truly whetted my appetite. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. In 1981, the first time I traveled to Prague, with the aim to find proof of ancestry (my last name means "from Prague" in Dutch) I attended a service in the 500 year old synagogue. I was touched when I sensed my father set down next to me. I detected the aroma of his cigars, I felt the fabric of the plaid shirt I like to finger for it's rough little threat balls as as child. Then I heard him cough and looked beside me, surprised to see an elderly woman, not my dad who had died in 1969.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kirstie Esson5 May 2011 at 17:49

    Would dearly love to win a copy. Haven't got round to buying one yet. Sounds fascinating and set in such a lovely area

    ReplyDelete
  4. books sounds interesting, would like to read it

    ReplyDelete
  5. Not tried a book like this before - would be interested go give it a go.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love all things paranormal and would love to win this book :) great interview x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kate Boardman5 May 2011 at 19:17

    Very interested in reading this book. Paranormal is one of quite a few genres that I read/write. And great to see the lovely Dr Ciaran is a romantic at heart too. *swoons* ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. oooops have deleted it....That would be fantastic to win this book by Kathryn, she is an amazing blogger and writer ;) @Kahanka

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have bought and read this book and can confirm, it really is a darned good read. Lucky person who wins it. Just don't read it when dinner is on, I did and burned it as I couldn't put the book down and time flew!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Would love to win a copy of this book!

    Great to hear Kathryn's story of writing it - overcoming her own health issues and working with her daughter's autism. This is inspiring for me as someone who also lives with chronic health conditions which can set back my writing goals. Can totally relate to not giving yourself a deadline, Kathryn!

    Thanks for the interview, Rebecca!

    Kirsten
    http://kirstencliffwrites.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you for such lovely comments. I'm very honoured by all of your kindness.

    Thanks also to Rebecca for featuring me on her fabulous blog.

    CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Interesting subject combined with romance, have lots of visitors in my house so interested to read this book, have added your blog to my favourites, great interview too

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wonderful interview! Just my type of book, plese put my name in the hat.

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a lovely interview. An interesting sounding book, it will be added to my TBR pile.

    My Grandmother and Two brothers in law hang around me. Lily of the valley and cigarette smoke are the aroma they bring with them.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank you to everyone who has expressed an interest in the book giveaway, and also shared experiences here; the comments have been fascinating to read.

    Kathryn is going to pick a winner at random over the weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Kathryn's daughter has pulled a name out of the 'hat' and that name is... Kate Boardman. Congrats Kate! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  18. WOOT!!! Fantastic. Looking forward to reading this very much. Thank you Rebecca and Kathryn (and of course Kathryns daughter). :-) XXX

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great interview--and interesting sounding book. I'll be having to check it out. :)

    ReplyDelete