Sunday, 1 May 2011

It's Only A Number: 2nd Place

The second place story as chosen by my judges is Clock Watching by Aaron Conaway:

Congratulations to Aaron!
For your prize you get to chose a copy of one of these books. I will be in touch by email.

 
Clock Watching
I dreamt I was outside.
In the dream I sat beneath the large oak in our front yard, barefoot in the grass.
Whatever is the matter?” asked the oak.
“It’s my birthday tomorrow.”
Wonderful.  You should have cake.”
“But…I’m another year older.”
Indeed.  Per the custom.”
“That makes me worry.” I pulled at the grass with my toes.
Worry?  What is ‘worry’?” the oak questioned, swaying its branches.
“I’m aging.”
That is worry?  Worry is a simple word.”
“You don’t understand.”
“Hence my question.  What is to worry about a birthday?  It’s just another number.”
“It’s a bigger number.”
I see.  How many full moons have you seen?”
“I – what?”
I have seen more than three thousand, personally.  How many times have you played in the rain?”
I tried to remember even the last time I’d played in the rain…
How many times have you said ‘I love you’ and meant it?”
I don’t know.”
“If you are going to only dignify certain numbers in your life special significance, might I suggest more worthwhile numbers than the passing of time?  Only a fool watches the clock while hearing a wondrous tale.”
There the dream ended and I woke.


About the Author
You can read more from Aaron at www.timberhaven.wordpress.com and www.mgideon.wordpress.com.
Aaron is on Twitter as: @M_Gideon

3 comments:

  1. Dude, seriously magical. *in awe*

    ReplyDelete
  2. I absolutely love this. I love it so much, I can't actually find anything appropriate to say. Completely wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations magical story1

    ReplyDelete