Wednesday, 4 May 2011

Spotlight on Indie Bookshops: The Wallingford Bookshop.

We are blessed here in Oxfordshire with many Indie bookshops in the small market towns surrounding Oxford.

The Wallingford Bookshop is a very small indie bookshop but it has enormous character. When I first had stories published in 50 Stories for Pakistan and Shambelurkling and Other Stories, I asked if they would be interested in stocking the books and there was no hesitation. Within a week there were copies on the shelves.

I went back today. In all honesty, I was going to ask if they would like me to take my books away. The shop is so small there is no stock room; everything they have is on the shelves, so I thought they may want to free up the space.

Imagine my delight when I was greeted by name, and then: "We have sold all your books, please can you let us have some more?" I then mentioned the other anthologies I have since been involved with, and they are going to stock those as well.

THEN another lady just happened to be in the shop who is thinking of setting up a literature festival for childrens' books. So the owner/manager introduced me: "Rebecca is an author..." (God, I am, aren't I?) and we swapped contact details as well.

What a fantastic visit that was!


Follow The Wallingford Bookshop on Twitter at: @wallingfordbook

No comments:

Post a Comment