Saturday, 16 July 2011

What I Love About #fridayflash

You may have heard of #fridayflash, but if not, it's a hashtag used on Twitter by people who post flash fiction on or before a Friday, for others to read and comment on. But it's much more than that. Founded by Jon Strother, it's a community, a network, and also an amazing way to feel a part of something great.

When I first realised that I actually enjoyed writing flash fiction, it was a mystery to me as I hadn't even really heard of the term "flash fiction" before the end of 2009. But when I discovered #fridayflash via Twitter, I started posting flash fiction on my blog as regularly as I could, and reading flashes by other people also as often as I could.

Now #fridayflash is always at the back of my mind. If I have something to post, I do, and if I don't, I have come to realise it's not a problem.  In summary, these are the things I love about #fridayflash:

  • The welcome for debut stories in the #fridayflash community is always there. I certainly didn't feel like The New Girl for very long.
  • You can dip in and out - there is no pressure to post every week. Even after a long absence, when you post again you still feel like a part of the community.
  • As long as you enter your details in The Fridayflash Collector, and link to it on Twitter, you will find you have a steady stream of readers for your flashes.
  • The community as a whole is very helpful and many of the writers who are involved will offer constructive criticism which will help you to improve your writing style.
  • Sometimes you will write a flash for #fridayflash and then later you can use it for something else, for example someone may post a call for submissions which allows previously blogged stories. This was how I had my first ever flash story published in 50 Stories for Pakistan.
If you are a writer of flash fiction, or even if you have never written any before and want to give it a try, I recommend joining in with #fridayflash. It has definitely had a massive impact on my writing, and that is all thanks to the lovely community of writers and readers that make #fridayflash the wonderful thing that it is today.


You can read my #fridayflash stories by clicking on the #fridayflash label in the panel on the right of my blog.

12 comments:

  1. I second everything you say Rebecca. The #fridayflash group are a wonderful welcoming crowd of individuals, and the bonus is, you get to read all their great flashes. :)

    I'm a newish member and I have been made to feel very welcome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't write flash fiction, but I do love to read it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I concur. I love #fridayflash for all those reasons too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely post, I must check out the hashtag and have a read.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I fully agree with everything you said, it's been a great experience for me and i've loved being exposed to other writers and other blogs like yours!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a nice shout out for #FridayFlash. As Emma says, we really are a low stress community. Post when you have one, don't worry when you don't. Irregulars are always welcome back.

    What I really like about #FridayFlash is that you get to meet the nicest people from all over the world and really connect with them.
    ~jon

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you all for the lovely comments.

    Jon, seeing yours made me realise I failed to mention you in my post. I am really sorry, that was so negligent of me. I can only claim I wrote it on a weekend day while being shouted at by 3 children. I have edited to add a mention now.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I appreciate the gesture, but you did not need to do that. I'm always happy to get a Friday Flash shout out. They don't have mention me personally.
    ~jon

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh yes they do! Yes, the #fridayflash community is a community - but you founded it, Jon. And you've been part of helping it grow from the beginning.

    Well done.

    And, great post Rebecca.

    ReplyDelete
  10. #fridayflash is both a wonderful community and a literary activity to look forward to. Especially in periods of low output, it's a goal for all of us to meet. Lovely post, Rebecca.

    And take your props, Strother!

    ReplyDelete
  11. All I can think to say is Amen! :)
    Great post Rebecca!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you for this Rebecca, we've joined so Harry can get some experience writing and feedback from others.

    ReplyDelete