Wednesday, 17 August 2011

My First Radio Appearance (BBC Radio Oxford)

Today, I was on the radio, as part of the book club feature of Jo in the Afternoon on BBC Radio Oxford.

This morning I was a bit nervous. I took two of my children over to my parents house (by 9am, quite a feat in the school hols) as they were going for a day out to the seaside.

Later, I took my four year old to a friend's house, stayed for coffee for an hour which was a nice distraction. Then I went home to "plan" but being at home on my own sent me into a spiral of nerves so I popped out to one of my favourite haunts to buy some bits and pieces and came home and then distracted myself again with some lunch and a flick through the Children's Writers' & Artists' Yearbook 2012.

I started listening to BBC Radio Oxford online at 1pm when the show started. It was as the show began and I heard the presenter saying they would be talking to me by name, that the nerves turned into excitement.

I had no idea what I was going to be asked, but I kept telling myself to listen, pause, answer, but I must admit I did have a couple of things I wanted to mention (apart from New Beginnings, obviously) and luckily Jo asked questions which enabled me to mention most of them.

The chat flew by, and by the end I was hoping it would go on for longer. It was a great experience and I hope it won't be the last time I am on the radio.

Many thanks to BBC Radio Oxford, who kindly sent me a copy of the interview to keep & share.



video

7 comments:

  1. I intend to listen on the iplayer as soon as I can get some quiet around here :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely interview, Rebecca, really enjoyed listening to it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Joanna, I appreciate that a lot. Sarah, I hope you got the chance to listen too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So glad it went well, lovely lady!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well done. So glad you enjoyed it in the end. I was on local radio live last year to promote my book and I was terrified but, just like your experience, it turned out to be good fun. What made me think I wouldn't have enough to say I do not know!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's great, Rebecca! I'm really impressed. Hope it gets your book noticed more. I'll certainly be looking out for it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congrats again, Rebecca! Glad you have the interview on your blog now :)

    ReplyDelete