Wednesday, 24 August 2011

New Beginnings, New Experiences, A New Me

Exactly two months ago, a delivery driver almost got the shock of his life as I got mildly hysterical about him delivering my first box of 50 author copies of New Beginnings to my house. That was the first of many firsts.

There was my first direct sale, my first book signing event, my first appearance on BBC Radio Oxford. My first sighting of my book in a book shop, my first Amazon sale, my first review, all these firsts seem like amazing things. Each and every one as special as the last.

Of course, the main worry when you have a book published is, will people want to buy it? The devil whispering in my ear made me wonder if I would sell more than three copies, (Mum, sister and aunt). But I'm pleased to say my definite sales figure (ie the ones I know about) is 90 to date. The majority of those being direct sales. Not bad for a book that isn't officially published yet!

Two months on, my Amazon reviews are now in double figures. It's such a thrill that people actually want to buy my book, but when they take the time and effort to review it as well, it is appreciated so much, especially as my first ten reviews all have five stars.

I'm quite proud of my achievements with marketing and publicity as a first-timer. I have got quite a lot of reviewers waiting to read the book nearer to the official publication date, I've had numerous bookshops say they will stock the book, and people saying they will take part in my publication date (23 January 2012) websplash. It has amazed me how much I have achieved, just by building up the courage to ask.

New Beginnings has changed me as a person. I now have no qualms at all about calling myself a writer for a start. For the first time in my life I am actually starting to have a bit of self confidence. I'm having such an exciting time at the moment, and if you are reading this, thank you for being a part of it.


10 comments:

  1. No wonder you are excited, it is such a massive achievement. I am very pleased for you and looking forward to reading your book. When is the release date?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, it's 23 Jan. I just added it to the post, thanks so much for your comment!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am half way through your book and it is written beautifully, I think it would be a good addition to schools in fact compulsary reading for all new high school intakes.I never realised before how excited authors would be having a book published but hearing how excited you are I now understand.
    It will be even more exciting on your publication date.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a lovely post. So often authors write about how scared they are when a book is being published and I don't blame them, I'd be terrified, but it's so nice to read about the joy :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You've done an amazing job at marketing, Rebecca. You should be very proud!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you all for your lovely replies xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Listening to you on the radio, don't ever doubt your ability to sell your book! Your confidence was amazing.

    You are a writer with a skill for promotion. Good luck for the future, Rebecca. x

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is wonderful! Congrats on your success!

    I have family in Besselsleigh. I love Oxfordshire!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey Rebecca,
    Congratulations Rebecca! You Go Girl! I am in your short story campaigner group:-)

    ReplyDelete