Wednesday, 10 August 2011

Writer/Mum Part 2 - One Year On

On 1 August last year, I wrote a post called A Day In The Life of a Writer/Mum which was basically a bit rant about how difficult it is to write during the school holidays. This post has been one of the most visited posts on this blog, so I am guessing people can relate!

This year, I decided early on that things had to be different. I didn't want to feel that frustration again, the dreadful resentment of the lack of writing time, and especially the guilt for not spending more time enjoying the time I have with my children.

I told myself this year would be different. And it has been.

A lot has changed since last summer. I've been published several times, for a start, and New Beginnings is making me very proud at the moment as the sales and reviews keep on coming. I am so grateful to everyone who has bought a copy and also to the lovely people who have left reviews on Amazon and Goodreads about the book. This really does help so thank you very much.

I finished and self-edited my second novel, When Dreams Come True well in advance of the school summer break this year. That is the main thing that is different this year, my timings have all been brought forward. It feels wonderful. Instead of wondering about piles of edits, I am spending the odd bit of time I do have on promotion and social networking. It's lovely to catch up with my friends and it's amazing to see the results of my marketing efforts. I am enjoying this part of the process greatly.

As for the writing? It's on hold. The ideas are there, they're gently simmering away, but I won't be writing them out until the school term starts.

And now? I'm off to play some games with my children.


Have a great summer xx

2 comments:

  1. What a difference a year makes! I'm glad to hear that you're having a much better time this year. Enjoy it :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Sarah, we're having a great time this year, I can't believe we are over half way through already.

    ReplyDelete