Wednesday, 26 October 2011

Tweet Treats - The Perfect Christmas Present!

It is with great pleasure that I am playing host to the Tweet Treats blog tour today. This lovely little book is the perfect stocking filler, as it contains many quick and easy recipes from people all around the world, including 140 celebrities and is the perfect size to slip into a Christmas stocking.

I have a few recipes in the book myself, keep an eye out for mine when you get your copy!

Without further ado I would like to introduce you to the lovely Jane Travers. Without Jane, Tweet Treats wouldn't exist today.


Hello Jane and welcome to Ramblings of a Rusty Writer


For anyone who has not yet heard of Tweet Treats, could you briefly describe what it’s all about?

Thanks for having me, Rebecca! Tweet Treats is a project to collect 140 character recipes (140 characters is roughly 25 words) sourced through Twitter. I collected recipes from 140 celebrities as well as from ordinary people, compiled a book which has just been published by O’Brien Press, and I’m donating all the royalties to Médecins Sans Frontières.

Why Médecins Sans Frontières?

They’re an amazing charity, and I have huge respect for them. They provide medical care in countries stricken by war, famine and natural disaster, quietly and without blowing their own trumpet. They are utterly non-partisan in their dealings with people, and are funded entirely by voluntary contributions so that they are not affiliated with any country, religious institution, etc. I received recipes from all over the world for Tweet Treats and I wanted to involve a truly global charity; MSF was the obvious choice.


You created the book via Twitter. So, for anyone who may be wondering, what exactly is Twitter?

Jane Travers
Twitter is a social network – but everyone knows that. You might not know what it really means, though. The emphasis is on “social” – Twitter is about building a broad online community of people with similar interests, who come together and chat, joke, discuss and debate. The essential brevity of a tweet (140 characters) is, I think, what makes Twitter great; you have to hone down what you want to say to its bare bones and still make it interesting. It means that Twitter moves fast and stays sharp, as there is no room for waffle in 140 characters. It’s a great exercise for writers, actually, to be concise and clear about what they want to get across. I love it. (And yes, that passage was more than 140 characters – see what happens when I’m not on Twitter?)


Have you met any of the celebrities who have donated recipes? If so, what were they like?

I had to think about that for a minute! I feel like I’ve met so many people through chatting to them online, it can be hard to remember who I’ve actually met. I met Pat O’Mahony, an Irish celebrity – he actually agreed to launch the book for me, which was great fun! Pat is a good laugh and a huge lover of Twitter – he’s even made a documentary about it. I already know a number of the Irish writers who contributed, like Colette Caddle, Claire Hennessy, RF Long, etc. I’ll be meeting Neil Gaiman next month in Seattle and I’m crazy excited about that.


How many new recipes have you tried since creating Tweet Treats? Do you have a favourite?

Gosh, loads of them! I couldn’t give you a number. Last summer, when I was flat out collecting recipes, I tried a new Tweet Treats recipe almost every night. A few of them have become firm favourites, like Banana Nut Bread by @mduffywriter – I have to make large batches of that every time because it doesn’t last long in our house!

What were the highlights and lowlights of getting Tweet Treats together?

The whole thing was an enormous amount of fun, I’m happy to say! There were loads of little highlights along the way; getting the first celebrity (@Tracy_Chevalier, author of Girl With a Pearl Earring), getting a recipe from my personal hero @neilhimself (Neil Gaiman), and loads of other celebrities gave me a huge kick too! There was a low point in the middle of the whole thing, when I thought I was mad and would never bring the whole thing to fruition. I thought about giving up and that same day @PaulaAbdul tweeted me to ask how the whole project was going and when the book would be out. I thought, wow, if Paula Abdul can have an interest in this, then I’ve got to keep going. And I did. The highlights far outweighed the lowlights, I’m pleased to say!

Would you ever create another fund-raising book?

I’d love to. I love the sense of well-being and purpose that Tweet Treats has given me, and the fun I’ve had with it. However, the only things I’ve had published to date have all been for charity, so it’d be really nice to actually earn some money from writing for myself one of these days!

What would you say are the most positive things that have come from using Twitter for you as a writer?

The network of writers. There are a fantastic bunch of writers, agents, editors and publishers out there, chatting, joking, sharing advice and information, and occasionally having a good rant. Before I found Twitter I was sitting on my own in front of a computer screen, typing into the abyss; now I’m part of a wider community. Writing is a solitary business, but I’ve learned it doesn’t have to be a lonely one.

What are you working on at the moment?

I had been polishing off a novel (women’s fiction). I put it aside when I started working on Tweet Treats, but now I’m trying to finish it off and find it a home once and for all. I’m also working on a YA paranormal romance, which I’m hoping will be a trilogy.



Thank you for joining me here on Ramblings of a Rusty Writer.

No no, thank you! ;)


If you like the sound of Tweet Treats, head over to Jonathan Pinnock's blog as he is currently hosting a giveaway of a copy of the book.


You can find further information via the following links:

FB Fan page for Tweet Treats

You can also buy a copy of Tweet Treats via Amazon.co.uk
Or via Amazon.com

No comments:

Post a Comment