Thursday, 24 November 2011

My Self-Publishing Adventures: Part 1: Kindle

My story collection A Knowing Look and Other Stories is now available via Kindle and I am very delighted to say people have actually started buying it, bless each & every one of them.

To think this all started as a passing thought, 'I wish I had my favourite stories all in one place.'

A number of factors followed on from that thought. Firstly I signed up to support National Flash Fiction Day, secondly I read a guest blog by Nik Perring over on The Long and Short of It and thirdly I got bored of my NaNoWriMo projects and as a result started focussing on this. As you do.

Anyway, after the edit and cover design was sorted out (more on both of those later), I got my Kindle out and opened up my copy of Catherine Ryan Howard's superb book Self-Printing: The Sane Person's Guide to Self-Publishing and I have to say thank goodness for this book, it was absolutely perfect as a step-by-step guide to formatting for Kindle.

I was quite surprised as I uploaded my files at 2pm yesterday, and by 7pm A Knowing Look and Other Stories was live on both Amazon.co.uk and Amazon.com.

I ended yesterday feeling quite proud of myself. I also learnt some very useful tips like how to create hyperlinks, and I discovered my Kindle has a web browser in it by clicking on one of my own links. Who knew?

Thank you for reading x X x



Click here to read the second post in this series.

14 comments:

  1. Congrats, Rebecca! It's on my Kindle, and I can't wait to dive in!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations Rebecca, I love the cover, it's very distinctive. I hope lots of people get to enjoy your work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations again Rebecca :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats Rebecca! Glad you found the book useful and here's to lots of sales! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats, Rebecca. It is a great feeling to see your ebook out there.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Best of luck with it - I'm sure it'll do great!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great cover. Quite appealing! Did you design it?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you all, and Elizabeth no, I wish I had a tenth of the talent the artist who designed the cover has! He read my story 'A Knowing Look' and came up with the cover. I will be featuring him on my blog one day in the not too distant future.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Are you going to unpack the good advice you got out of Self-Printing in a future post? Regardless, congratulations on your launch.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi John, yes I'm going to do a series of posts actually... when I get the time! Thanks so much for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congrats, Rebecca. And I so agree about Catherine Ryan Howard's book - she also steered me through the whole self-publishing quagmire.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congratulations, Rebecca!!! Those look like some wonderful links. I'm heading back to start clicking on them now.

    ReplyDelete
  13. The whole self publishing thing is such a great idea.. I have been doing it for a while now and have gotten some pretty popular pieces of work out there for people to read. It is all about the Publishing Company that you choose to help you self publish.

    ReplyDelete