Saturday, 5 November 2011

November Madness and A New WIP

Hi All

Wow, what a rollercoaster of a month so far. I started NaNoWriMo on the 1st November. NaNo is a challenge to write 50k in a month. It's a tough one.

I started writing my sequel to New Beginnings. It started well, but then on 1st and 2nd of November I received two rejections from Lit Agents for my second book When Dreams Come True. The surface reaction to these rejections was, 'I don't mind, it's part of the publishing thing, it is with three publishers, one of which I really really, really want to work with, so there is still a "wait and see..." thing going on'.

Goodness knows what is going on deeper in my head, however. Whatever it is, I have sat in front of my computer fiddling around on the internet and deliberately distracting myself for more hours than I care to think about.

On 3rd, I thought it wasn't working so well but I plodded on, thinking of new characters and big scenes to write. But yesterday I got up at 4.50, hoping to write a big chunk. I sat, and sat, and nothing came to me. (This is NOT normal for me as a writer.) So I made a decision.

Yesterday I opened up a new file. I typed A Listening Ear at the top. And I haven't stop writing since. As you can tell from the date I wrote the #fridayflash of the same name, this character has been bubbling under the surface for a year and a half and it's about time her voice was heard.

And so, my first novel for adults has begun.

Thanks so much for reading. Rebecca x X x

5 comments:

  1. Wow, you're attempting the November write a book in a month thing. Saw something about that on the BBC news channel. Good luck and try to stay sane!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Chris. It's my third NaNoWriMo. I have always worked best under pressure, so it suits me. I hope you are well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you found your way out of the slump. I don't think you can force these things, but you can certainly work your way through them (or round them).

    mood
    Moody Writing
    @mooderino
    The Funnily Enough

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a smart idea to move onto something else, sometimes it just has to be done!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It sounds like you found a positive way to deal with writer's block. Well done! Good luck with your novel.

    ReplyDelete