Wednesday, 22 February 2012

The Internet as a Tool for Writers


In the past week or so I have been thinking about cover designs for When Dreams Come True and after hours of trawling through stock photography sites I had three photographs, one of which I loved, one I didn't like much at all and one I found was growing on me.  I asked some of my friends for their thoughts, which they duly gave. These friends are all people who I have got to know online.

The photo that I loved had some issues with it. The girl in the photo Is My Character. You know, when you look at a face and think, YES!

But I don't ask for feedback from people who I respect the opinion of for nothing. Some of them had issues with the emotions shown in the image.

I did something I felt really cheeky doing yesterday. I emailed the photographer - who lives in the USA, to see if she had any more shots from the photo shoot with a slightly different expression. Her reply pretty much took my breath away.

In summary, while I was sleeping last night, the photographer did a reshoot with the same model, using my exact requests as guidelines. I now have 26 images to choose from, which is a task in itself, as they are all totally gorgeous.

I can't help but think about how hard it must have been back in the time when Dickens was writing. He had to get on a boat to go to the US and travel around doing readings to speak to people.

These days we are so blessed with the Internet. Not only was I conversing with a photographer in another country yesterday, I was also giving advice to a new book blogger in the US, emailing a friend in yet another country about our writing goals and progress, and having email exchanges with several other writers in the UK. These things would have been impossible before the Internet. Sometimes I wonder if we realise just how lucky we are.


Thanks for reading - this post makes my blog title seem quite apt don't you think?

Rebecca
x




7 comments:

  1. That’s great. Always worth asking and probably around the same cost as a stock photo for something like that. Just had a look at her website - some interesting use of colour.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad you found one - or 26! At least it will be a pleasant task choosing from pictures that you totally like rather than ones that are not 100% what you want. Enjoy! I thoroughly agree about how amazing it is to be able to do so much through cyberspace, but to me the most amazing part is the people I have "met" and got to know in that way, who I would otherwise not have known existed. How I would have missed out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow that is startling and brilliant. Just shows you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Crikey. I assume they'll be paid for whatever image you decide to use but still, what a lovely photographer to do a re-shoot to get you the picture you were looking for. I've found though that the vast majority of people I've 'met' both online and off are always willing to help, if you ask nicely enough - which I'm sure you always do.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes - the internet is wonderful. And you would still be stuck with a photo that wasn't exactly right without the kindness of a real woman. I love the internet - and love people more!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is really interesting. Thanks for sharing x

    ReplyDelete
  7. The power of the internet is simply awesome!

    ReplyDelete