Thursday, 9 February 2012

What I've Been Doing Lately

Hi everyone

Well I've been a bit quiet here on my blog recently, not really saying much about what I've been working on, so thought I'd write a little update today.

The reason I've been a bit quiet is on my launch day for New Beginnings, I sat in front of my computer for 16 hours straight and STILL didn't feel like I'd done enough to share links and thank people. Please do visit my pages called 'interviews' and 'guest blogs' as I have updated them to show the blogs that were published on the day. After that long day, it has taken me a while to get back into the swing of being on my computer again!

I have received some lovely emails from people who bought the book on the day, some of which have really stuck with me. It means so much to be told that my words have had an impact on somebody.

I have been working on my second novel, When Dreams Come True. My beta readers were very enthusiastic about it, and I have spent the last six months sending it off to publishers and agents. The response has been a selection of form rejections and hand-written complimentary "nearly but not quite" notes, but the overall scenario is I am now gearing up to self publish the book. It has been edited and I am now sending it to some readers in the right age group to see what they think of it. I also have a proof reader and cover designer waiting in the wings so hopefully this book will be available by the summer. I've even set it up on Goodreads so you can follow the updates on there if you so wish.

I've started writing my third book for children, which is a traditional adventure story for younger readers, age 6-9. It's based on a place I've actually been to - I knew as soon as I clapped eyes on it that I would end up writing an adventure story about it. I will be going back there soon to absorb the atmosphere again and take some photos.

I currently have some stories (for adults) going through the submission process for some womens' magazines so please keep your fingers crossed. One of them has been out for nearly 4 months so I imagine I will hear about that one before too long.

I have got some exciting events coming up this year. I am going to a school reading festival in September which is at the school I used to go to. That will be great fun for many reasons, but not least because I can have a snoop around and see what has changed there. I am also very excited about National Flash Fiction Day (May 16th) which will be a lot of fun. You can see my writer profile for this here.

I have definitely written far too much enough now!

Thank you so much for reading,

Rebecca

18 comments:

  1. busy busy girl - splendid start to your year -am following you with great interest

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Alberta, that is so lovely x

      Delete
  2. You have SO much to be proud of, Rebecca. Keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cathy. You know, the truth is, I keep beating myself up for being an underachiever!

      Delete
  3. Oh Rebecca how industrious you are :-))) Very impressive, what a way to start the year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I love your blog, by the way. You may have noticed, I visit it quite a bit.

      Delete
  4. You missed out the charity ebook for One In Four! I’m looking forward to National Flash Fiction Day as well! Will hopefully be going to the Oxford Event.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did that blog post about that one before, Pete. I didn't want to get all the girls excited again ;o) ha ha

      Delete
  5. What exciting times you're having. When do you eat and sleep?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Debbie! And, believe me, I do plenty of eating and sleeping :o)

      Delete
  6. Wishing you lots of luck with the next novel Rebecca xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Debbie. I totally forgot to mention the Kindle formatting I've been doing too. I knew I'd forget something...

      Delete
  7. Still reading your blog, don't always comment but thought I'd drop in a line to say thanks for the read. Self publishing seems to be the way to go these days, even for some well established authors. It's all changing. Anyway, good luck and keep the updates coming.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Chris, I am the same, I often read blogs on my iPod and I don't generally reply on that! Thanks for the good wishes.

      Delete
  8. Hi Rebecca!

    Good luck and keep us updated on your progress.

    BTW, congrats! You won the Tracy Sumner Giveaway at http://romancebookhaven.blogspot.com/2012/01/historical-author-tracy-sumner-with.html

    Please contact Tracy for your book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for this, I am so excited! I very rarely win contests! Thank you :o)

      Delete