Thursday, 12 April 2012

Freaks by Nik Perring and Caroline Smailes

Today is the publication date for Freaks by Nik Perring and Caroline Smailes, so by way of celebration I am honoured to be hosting one of the stories from the collection here on my blog, complete with a fantastic illustration by Darren Craske:



Invisible 
[Super Power: The ability to make oneself unseen to the naked eye]

If I stay totally still,
if I stand right tall,
with me back against the school wall,
close to the science room’s window,
with me feet together,
pointing straight,
aiming forward,
if I make me hands into tight fists,
make me arms dead straight,
 if I push me arms into me sides,
if I squeeze me thighs,
stop me wee,
if me belly doesn’t shake,
if me boobs don’t wobble,
if I close me eyes tight,
so tight that it makes me whole face scrunch,
if I push me lips into me mouth,
if I make me teeth bite me lips together,
if I hardly breathe,
if I don’t say a word.
Then,
I’ll magic meself invisible,
and them lasses will leave me alone.






Dedicated ‘To all who, if only for a moment, felt that they didn’t belong’, FREAKS is a unique collection of short stories with comic book style illustrations.

Darkly humorous these stories explore the more disturbing consequences of ordinary, flawed human beings obtaining superpowers.  

This superb collection is now available from Amazon in both paperback and ebook formats.








About the Authors
Caroline Smailes was born in Newcastle. In 2005 a chance remark on a daytime chat show caused Caroline to reconsider her life. She enrolled on an MA in Creative Writing and began writing. Caroline lives in the North West of England with her husband and three children. She can be found at her website and on Twitter.

Nik Perring lives in Cheshire, UK, where he writes, mostly, short stories. The stories he’s written have been widely published, in the UK and abroad, in print and on-line. They’ve been collected in the book Not So Perfect (Roast Books, 2010), read at events, printed on fliers and used, with one of Dave Eggers’, as essential material on a creative writing course in the US. If Nik could choose a super power he would rather like the ability to type a little faster. Either that or be able to talk to cats. He likes cats. His online home is here.

Darren Craske began his career writing and illustrating comic books before his published work with book one of the Cornelius Quaint Chronicles: The Equivoque Principle. The second book in the series, The Eleventh Plague followed soon after, with the conclusion to the series to be published in 2012. Darren lives in Hampshire with his wife and two children.

2 comments:

  1. I have read Nik's work before and love it so this will be something I pick up. Love the poem!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The cover is fantastic and the content sounds great. The poem definitely captures something I've felt. Thanks for the introduction.

    ReplyDelete