Monday, 2 April 2012

Some Very Random Things I Have Discovered About Self-Publishing

This is a very random post, but I'm putting it up in case it helps one person... you never know.
Some brief but useful points about self publishing issues.

1. When you self-publish with Lulu, you can't upgrade from their free extended distribution to global distribution. You have to set up a new project, get a new ISBN and go through the whole process again. So think long and hard, as even if you are like me and you think no-one's going to buy your book, you may be proved wrong and then want to upgrade later on.

1b. Vistaprint do a helpful 'small sticker' which you can post a Lulu barcode into (or any other image for that matter) for stickering up the stock you have remaining with your old ISBN on.

2. When you get to the point where you need an ITIN to avoid paying US tax as an "alien" and have to fill in the form W-7 in order to get it, you will read about how complicated it is, blah blah blah. Well if you follow the instructions, you will find it much easier than you anticipate.

2b You can mail the completed form with your ID to the US Embassy in your own country which makes it easy postage wise. I sent my form off to the US Embassy in London and had my passport returned within 2 working days.


Thanks for reading!

Rebecca


10 comments:

  1. I'm sure all that you have discovered will help a lot of people Rebecca. I think you have done extreamly well in self publishing and advertising your books. It all sounds so complicated to me ,I just about manage my blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your blog is coming on in leaps and bounds, so don't put yourself down :o) It's also one of those blogs which is ALWAYS a pleasure to read. Thanks for visiting x

      Delete
  2. I'm glad you recommended Vistaprint, who did a sensational job for me on promo business cards...and a baseball cap!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi - I *love* Vistaprint, I have ordered lots of things from them too. The first order I ever placed with them was for marketing a charity anthology and they gave me a hefty discount too - which was nice of them.

      Delete
  3. Useful tips, Rebecca. I gained my EIN number over the phone, (direct to IRS). It took me less than twenty minutes. My daughter has used Visaprint for years, and I aim to use them soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read in a couple of places that you have to have a company to get your number over the phone - is that correct, Glynis?

      Delete
  4. I know a couple of people who will appreciate this info Rebecca! Thanks for posting it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice post. I'm recommending it to people I know. Looks complicated.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh dear...puts me right off using Lulu! You are very clever and determined to have figured all of this out!

    ReplyDelete