Thursday, 21 June 2012

What The Funk?


I usually don't post anything unless I'm capable of being all happy and jolly, even if sometimes, quite honestly it is an act. This is an exception to that rule, and I'm posting it in the interest of honesty, because I have a feeling we all have times like this.


I know some of you will read this and think, what do you have to be fed up about, you silly cow? Well, that just shows how good I am act keeping up the happy show the whole time  ;o)

I'm really happy about my multiple publications in anthologies. I'm pleased to have a short story collection and two novels published. I'm delighted when someone gets in touch to say a story they have read (of mine) has touched them in some way.

But at the moment, when I go near my computer, I feel fed up. I don't feel like writing, I'm behind on all my emails and social networking stuff, and I haven't written anything new (novel -wise) for quite some time now. The most important thing is though, I am sick to the back teeth of all the marketing and pushing and promo stuff. I am boring myself going on about my own books all over the place and finding it ridiculous how I feel like having a party when I sell one book a fortnight. Or worse. I don't feel like a writer at the moment, I feel like some sort of marketing assistant who is doing a really rubbish job.

I think what I need, is a proper break from it all. So I am going to step back from the computer and (apart from emails), give everything else a bit of a break. I don't know how long for, possibly even only a matter of days, but I feel like I need to go somewhere and hopefully find my happy face again.

See you soon, and thanks, as always, for reading.






30 comments:

  1. taking time out sounds like a good idea - being congruent and saying how you feel is an even better one imo. Take care

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, "I'LL" miss seeing my friend's words, face and name for however long you'll be re-establishing your writing roots. But that's what and who you are, Rebecca...a writer!

    So you take care. Write up a storm. We'll be looking for you whenever you're ready.

    Best wishes,
    ~ j

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joe! You are a lovely friend.

      Delete
  3. Hi Rebecca, don't worry, that sounds normal. My theory is that we're designed to do a range of things, from parenting to working, exercising, organising etc (did I miss out sleeping and relaxing? How could that be? #mumthing) and we're supposed to move from one thing to another, and back. It's only when we look back, years later, that we get the impression of having done lots -- and you'll be able to see a line of kids and a shelf full of books, which is pretty impressive. I think it's imperative to make some small gaps between, though, for our... what's it called... sanity?
    Enjoy your time away!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Martha. You speak so much sense! Thanks very much.

      Delete
  4. We all feel like this sometimes (heck, I don't even have a book published) ;)
    Hope you get to relax a bit!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Estrella. I've been doing a lot of 'non computer' things and feel so much better for it.

      Delete
  5. Hey, nothing wrong with taking a break. Me time is the most important time

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Mark, you're so right. I suffer if I don't get enough "me time".

      Delete
  6. OMG, I feel exactly the same way. Funk, I am thy QUEEN. Since you're feeling the same way I dub you Princess of Funk and together we will rule the funking world.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cathy this did make me laugh. At least we can be a team about it ;o)

      Delete
  7. Yup! I'm feeling pretty much the same right now. My blog posts lately are all about trying to recharge and reignite creativity and it says it with (I hope) a smile which I have to admit is not always there in real life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds very familiar! Thanks for letting me know I am not alone. x

      Delete
  8. Do something unwriterly and return refreshed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Debbie! I am doing exactly that.

      Delete
  9. Sometimes you need a break. I find that with teaching I take a break for a few months (I'm a TEFL teacher so can afford to do so) and then come back fresh with a new outlook, fresh ideas, etc. I can honestly say your writing is getting better and better though. For me, my writing "career" is a long term thing and as long as I'm improving then I'm heading in the right direction. I like to think that maybe my tenth (or maybe twentieth?) book with be a best seller and then my other books will suddenly get more interest. Anyway, that's just me. Enjoy the break.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Chris, it sounds like we are thinking along similar lines for our writing goals. And thanks for your lovely comment about my writing too. I am striving to improve ALL the time.

      Delete
  10. Yes, it's just a matter of balance. Even a simple thing such as a walk or a couple of days off line will make all the difference and give us a different mindset. As you can see here, it's certainly not an uncommon feeling.

    ReplyDelete
  11. We'll miss you - and how I agree about the marketing/promo stuff. I hope you find restorative places. With sunshine, and maybe cake, and soon the words will flow. It matters less that they flow in our direction, more that they nurture you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jo. I've been going down the excercise route instead of the cake one. It's all new to me but I'm officially hooked!

      Delete
  12. Don't feel guilty about taking a break, Rebecca, it will do you good. I love the photo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jean! I bought that photo from a stock photo site a while back so I decided to use it again and get my money's worth ;o)

      Delete
  13. Well, pushing promo when you're actually sick of it is a bad idea. Wise to back away before it gets any worse commercially, as you'd hate to poison the market. Also awful if you actually harm your own psyche. Take care of yourself, and hopefully you'll feel more like a writer soon. Certainly take care.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Take the time and come back refreshed. It takes it's toll when you have to force yourself to work.

    It's time to take care of yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hope you find the break is just what you need.

    ReplyDelete