Monday, 5 November 2012

Flash Fiction: You Light Up The Sky




YOU LIGHT UP THE SKY


Sometimes I sit and think of you, my periodic visitor; my temporary blinding light.

The anticipation of your visit is reminiscent of lighting the blue touch paper of a firework, then moving back to wait, wondering if anything will happen.

As the bell rings, the flame has caught. A whoosh inside me as I open the door and see your eyes dancing with mine from under your thick brown fringe.

I put the kettle on. We talk, and all around me I see stars. Your nearness evokes a spinning sensation in my head, like a Catherine wheel, whirring out of control.

Those micro-seconds when you hold me, the world lights up around me in a blast of starlight; momentarily beautiful.

But then you leave.

Darkness. Chilling air and a sense of loss.

The moment is over. It was never mine to begin with.





This flash story is taken from my collection A Knowing Look and Other Stories.



8 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed that, it reads like a poem: beautiful and perfect for Bonfire Night.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jean! I'm so glad you enjoyed it.

      Delete
  2. The juxtaposition between positive (and all that goes with it) and negative (likewise) is very strong. Nicely done! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That was fantastic. And I agree, it did read like poetry. Very evocative.

    ReplyDelete
  4. But she deserves her own moment, and now has better knowledge of how to create it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This was a fab story and in keeping with the standard of the rest of the book.

    ReplyDelete
  6. As has already been said, poetic, and deep.

    Like fireworks, affairs can be hot, fiery, and brief.

    ReplyDelete