Sunday, 4 November 2012

Theatre Review: Victor/Victoria Southwark Playhouse

Yesterday I went to the matinee performance of Victor/Victoria at the Southwark Playhouse. My first impressions of the venue - well it's amazing! If a friend of mine hadn't known about it I'd never have found the place and it really is an interesting venue to see a show, basically in a converted tunnel/vault, but you can still see all the brickwork so it's an amazing space.

This show on first impressions feels like a romp through the world of sequined cabaret shows in gay Paris, and actually that is what it is but once you dig deeper and see the message of how a woman had to pretend to be a man in drag to be able to perform in certain places, it becomes a stronger plot, with the songs If I Were A Man and Almost a Love Song proving particularly poignant.

The soundtrack was catchy, and performed wonderfully, especially by Anna Francolini in the role of Victoria. The choreography was incredible given the small space the actors had to dance in, it felt like they were on a much larger stage and every member of the cast had a great stage presence (and I have to be honest there was a ridulous amount of gorgeousness in the cast).

For me though, the star of the show was Richard Dempsey as Toddy who played the role to perfection; camp, sympathetic and humorous, and the man has legs that a female supermodel would kill for. He's definitely one to watch.


Star rating: 4 out of 5 stars.  Will brighten up the dreariest autumn day.



Follow my Entertainment list on Twitter, which includes some of the cast of this show.

2 comments:

  1. This was such a nice review. I have yet to see Victor/Victoria, but I enjoyed your synopsis. I also like all things British and love live plays. A few years ago my husband and I were fortunate enough to visit London and we went to three plays there, and they were great, as was the theatre district.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your lovely comment, Elizabeth! If I don't like something I don't review it so there will only ever be positive reviews from me. I am so glad you enjoyed your trip to London!

      Delete