Sunday, 14 July 2013

Theatre Review: One Man, Two Guvnors (Theatre Royal Haymarket)

I decided to see One Man, Two Guvnors without knowing anything about it, when I walked past the theatre just after 7 on Saturday 13th July, and saw the posters. I got a seat in the middle of row E of the stalls which turned out to be a brilliant seat.

This show opens before the stated start time with a 4 piece band called The Craze appearing on stage and playing several  catchy tunes that simply make you want more. Make sure you are in your seat by 7.15 so you don't miss this, as I have to say they are outstanding (they sell their debut album in the foyer and yes, I bought it).

The lead role is played by Rufus Hound, the self-defined harlequin of the piece, who is superb in the role, showing perfect comedy timing and an amazing ability to ad-lib with audience members (and noticeably personally thanking them afterwards). He, along with the rest of the cast, were a delight to watch and very funny, also multi-talented as it seemed all the cast members also got involved with the music at one point or another, and there were some amazing singing and instrumental contributions all round.

In summary, I recommend this show if you like comedy. I wouldn't recommend the end of the row at the front of the stalls if you don't like audience participation. But what stood out for me in all honesty were The Craze, who I would happily pay to watch in a show of their own. They are totally amazing. And not only that but I have since found out (thanks to my good friend Twitter) that one of the band was making their West End debut that day. I would never have guessed that.


Star rating: 4.5 out of 5, but that is probably down to my personal taste. I suspect others would rate it a 5.
Music rating: 5 out of 5. Don't forget to buy the CD on the way out - at £10, a total bargain.


Check out the official website for more information.
Follow my Entertainment list on Twitter, which includes some of the cast and crew from this show. 


No comments:

Post a Comment