Friday, 25 October 2013

#Fridayflash: Advance, Retreat.



Advance ~ Retreat

Spirited winds whip my hair into my face, across my closed eyelids. Waves breaking over finest shingle speak to my core: advance, retreat, advance, retreat.

My toes sink into the coarse sand of the tidal zone. A strand of Fucus vesiculosus wraps itself around my ankle as the retreating wave attempts to pull the sand from under my feet. Retreat, advance, retreat.

I turn from the shore, and walk to the cave, entering steadily, focussing on the tiny flame at the deepest part of it. Advance, advance. As I walk towards it, the light flickers and dims as if the sea spray had found a way inside. I pause and consider.

I slowly turn away, and retrace my steps, hearing the waves call to me again. Advance, retreat, advance, retreat. I glance over my shoulder at the flame, now burning bright. A question forms in my mind, and the waves whisper, “yes”.

19 comments:

  1. I'm reading this with an appropriate background weather: wind and rain. I enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Am I right in that the question was "Am I dead?" Great atmosphere in this Rebecca!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have absolutely no idea. I do like letting readers use their own imaginations though! Thank you for visiting, and your comment.

      Delete
  3. Very tightly controlled & wonderful atmosphere. Love the fucus vesiculosis wrapped around the ankle...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Virginia! The name of that seaweed has stayed with me since school days, I had to use it somewhere!

      Delete
  4. Very tight, indeed. I feel like I'm there, weather and all.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very descriptive. So what happen next? Is she a mermaid?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My stories come from the most simple prompts, and mostly come fully formed, so I have no idea, but that's a very good question! Thanks for visiting.

      Delete
  6. Wow, this is a really good one

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautifully descriptive imagery.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Steve. I hope you're well.

      Delete
    2. Hi again Rebecca, yes I am fine thank you, it's lovely to see you posting again too.

      Best wishes. Steve. :)

      Delete
  8. Gorgeous, beautiful writing and very evocative, we can travel with this one which is the best thing writing can do.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I saw it as an invitation to suicide at first, but now I'm not so sure. A transformation is about to take place, is all I know. Not sure exactly what. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I must admit, I'm not sure what the question was, but I'm not sure it really matters. I enjoyed this a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lovely sensory array, Rebecca. I'm not taking it as an invitation to the end. I'm taking some of these details as good reasons to keep on keeping on.

    ReplyDelete