Tuesday, 3 February 2015

Book Review: The Faithful Couple by A D Miller

 

At first I struggled with this book. It didn’t grip me from the offset, and a few chapters in I wondered whether to move on to another book. There were particular things I didn’t like about it. The overly-generous inclusion of the kind of words your average reader would have to look up in a ‘Dictionary of Advanced English Language’, (either a slightly showing-off style of writing, or simply ticking all the boxes to get a literary award nomination?) Rose, as authentic a character as she was, somehow would have caused a more gut wrenching impact if she had been a year younger, in my opinion. Finally, at times, I found myself skim-reading flowery paragraphs about the business issues the main characters faced, not really interested in the content.

However, Neil and Adam are very real characters, and their friendship, which forms the basis of the story, is perhaps quite ordinary in the whole scheme of things, but that is what makes this book feel like a worthwhile read.

I hated the ending and then I loved the ending, and then it seemed to be the only ending that would fit.

I would say fans of literary fiction will enjoy this book, people perhaps with more available reading time and a love of long paragraphs of prose and clever words about nothing in particular. But at the end of the day there is no getting around the fact that I got so engrossed in the book that my children went to bed a bit later than usual last night, as I hid in the kitchen to read to the conclusion.

Actual rating: 3.5 stars.

I received an ARC of this book via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.


The Faithful Couple is due to be released on 5th March 2015.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment