Sunday, 29 March 2015

Book Review: The Love Song of Miss Queenie Hennessy by Rachel Joyce




The Love Song of Miss Queenie Hennessy by Rachel Joyce should possibly be quite depressing as it is set in a hospice, however the book is mostly about Queenie’s life when she was younger, and the days she spends in the hospice are enriched by a wonderful group of characters and written with such a gentle humour, that I found the book uplifting, and laughed more often than I felt sad.

I read this book over quite a number of days, partly because of work commitments but mostly because I wanted to savour it. Joyce has a fantastic style of writing that makes me feel happy to be a reader, and I didn’t want the book to come to an end.

I loved the characters in the hospice, such a wonderful bunch, and it was sad to lose each one of them, yet they all seemed to have had a good time while they were there.

Queenie’s journey was so interesting to read, and it is written as a parallel journey to that of Harold Fry, which is so clever. I now feel I want to read The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry again.

This is undoubtedly one of my favourite reads of 2015 so far, and one of those rare books that I definitely want to read again.


I received a copy of this book via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

Buy your copy now from Amazon.co.uk

No comments:

Post a Comment